So it's that time again, and by that time, I mean this time. My job finishes this week and I've been thinking about what I might do next.
Mostly my thoughts lately go like this:
But, in all seriousness, I've been working towards certain things for a long time now and whilst I love what I do most of the time, part of me has realised that maybe I've changed and I haven't necessarily altered my course to reflect that. It's as though I've continued in the direction I think I should be going, but I don't know if it is leading to what I want any more.
It kind of reminds me of a very Through My Looking Glass related saying:
So I wanted to put together some thoughts on what I might like to do, or the kind of things that interest me and might, ultimately, lead me in a new direction and help me create my dream job. I've always had a lot of luck and persistence when it comes to jobs and goal setting so I may as well create the dream and then I can work out how to get there, or at least start foraging a new path.
I've been working as a researcher for the past three months, something that suits me very well and I enjoy doing. Something along these lines could definitely be on the cards. Here are some other things that would help to make up my dream job:
- I like compiling information and writing and editing
- I like meeting new people and talking about ideas
- I like seeing ideas come together and finding all the little threads to get there.
- I like deadlines and end goals
- I like mixing with people but my little inner introvert likes some time alone to think, process, and plan
- I like seeing the results of my hard work
- I like having a good work/life balance
- I like to work at my own pace and working from home sometimes
- I like the idea of this:
Damn you, Carrie Bradshaw!!
The funny thing is that my list fits in very well with the industry I currently work in, but I do like dreaming about the life of a fictional character, working from home, writing, lunching, and running around Manhattan in Manolo Blahniks! Hey, I never say no to a challenge and if I want something bad enough, I always believe that I can make it happen eventually.
What's your dream job? I'd love to hear it!