As predicted last week, my new job has taken a turn for the crazy. This week has been all about late nights, early mornings, running around, forgetting to eat, and just getting stuck into the insanity, hence the serious lack of blog love. I realise now what I've gotten myself into and have worked out a new system!
Anyway, I've been getting questions about what I'm doing. It's difficult to be specific because of the confidential nature of the business, however, I will be vague and attempt to be simultaneously entertaining and informative whilst remaining a little.
I am a location assistant on the new show, which means I am one step closer to the producers, helping them out where necessary and getting the opportunity to take part in pretty much every shoot for the series.
Here is a bit of an idea of what I got up to over the last week or so:
- Setting up one of our sets at Fox Studios and taking turns to be on the look out for Leonardo DiCaprio.
We also took the time to entertain ourselves…
And have a little rest when required (it's the law).
- Sourcing furniture. This looks like a chair Morpheus would own.
- Driving around Sydney. A lot. Interesting venture for someone who barely knows the city.
- Bonding in the office over call sheets, release forms, car snacks, and past television-making experiences.
- Whilst on location in a part of Sydney (see, vague), I was on my first of many coffee runs and who happened to walk in and stand right next to me but Tobey Maguire. Have to say, it made the 6am start worth it. He is very small, but he smiled at me so I was a bit chuffed.
- Wednesday was such a great pay off because the days beforehand had been very stressful for everyone. Being on set is so exhilarating that you forget you've been up since 4am and haven't sat down for hours and your feet hurt. I did get to see the sun rise though, something rare in my life.
- Driving an expensive car around town in my cons.
I have been having some mixed thoughts about my career for a while now and, this week, it occurred to me that this is, in fact, where I want to be right now. A special breed of people work and thrive in this industry and that is where I fit in. We work hard, we get stressed, we put up with crazy demands, we sleep very little, and we do whatever it takes to get the job done to the best of our abilities.